using stripe in an unsupported country
if you are outside stripe’s 47 core countries but have a wise account, you should be able to connect this to stripe.
1️⃣ getting started: setting up a wise account
b. follow the onscreen instructions to complete the initial set up.
c. you'll then need to link your wise account to your local bank account.
d. once this is done, you’ll be able to open accounts in multiple currencies.
a. click on your new account:
b. you’ll be able to access your account details from here .
c. make a note of the (i) local bank account details; (ii) international bank account details; + (iii) bank account address (including country).
- there is no cost to opening multiple currency accounts
- you don’t need to make any deposits.
- we recommend opening either a USD, GBP or EUR account.
- this account is where any money you make on somos will be sent to you via stripe.
- you’ll then be able to convert it into your local currency when you receive payouts.
2️⃣ creating a stripe account
b. when selecting “country” on the first page, please pick the country your new wise account is in.
c. when choosing your stripe currency of choice, please use the same one as the wise account (e.g. USD, GBP or EUR).
a. you can add your normal residential address but for the “country” use the country of your new wise bank account.
b. for your bank details, please use the foreign bank details for your new wise account.
- check out this additional guidance from wise on how to connect a stripe + wise account together.
- your name, account details etc must match exactly or this won’’t work!
3️⃣ connecting your stripe account to somos
- you can do this straight after submitting your teaching application
- once you’re done you’ll be able to start creating courses as soon as your teaching application is approved 😊
🤔 frequently asked questions
- there is no cost for opening multiple currency accounts in wise nor do you have to make any deposits.
- there are however some fx & transfer fees. we think these are generally reasonable but you can take a look here.
- it is worth noting that it costs USD 4.14 to receive USD wire payments.
- we are able to work with teachers from 170+ countries and would love to increase that as soon as we can. however, due to banking restrictions we are not yet able to partner with teachers based in: