🎬 intro videos: make a lasting first impression
your intro video is your digital handshake. make it memorable!
[🎥 coming soon]
you’ll learn how to:
- craft an engaging intro video that resonates with your students.
- use best practices for lighting, sound, and content.
- upload your video directly to your somos profile or use an existing youtube video.
🌟 why intro videos matter
- personal connection: an intro video helps you connect with students before they even work with you.
- showcase your style: this is your chance to show your teaching style and personality.
- build trust: students are more likely to make join your community if you have a well-crafted intro video.
🎥 technical tips for a great video
- lighting: natural light works best. position yourself so that the light falls onto your face, not behind you.
- sound: use a good quality microphone or ensure you're in a quiet space.
- camera: your smartphone camera will usually do the trick, but make sure it has a high enough resolution.
- background: keep it simple and uncluttered. you want students to focus on you, not your surroundings.
🎬 what to include in your intro video
to help structure your video, we give you three short prompts. here's how to make the most of each:
- what to include: your name, the languages you teach, and a fun fact about yourself.
- why it matters: this sets the stage and gives students an immediate sense of who you are.
- tip: keep it short and sweet. you have up to 180 seconds, so feel free to introduce yourself in multiple languages if you'd like!
my teaching style 💫
- what to include: briefly describe your teaching approach. are you more structured or flexible? do you focus on conversation, grammar, or a mix of both?
- why it matters: students have different learning preferences. knowing your teaching style helps them decide if you're the right fit.
- tip: use relatable examples or anecdotes to illustrate your style. you have up to 90 seconds.
why i love teaching 💚
- what to include: share what motivates you to teach. is it the joy of seeing a student progress, the cultural exchange, or something else?
- why it matters: passion is contagious. when students see that you love what you do, they're more likely to engage.
- tip: speak from the heart. authenticity goes a long way. you have up to 90 seconds.
🤖 using ai-generated speaker notes
- why use speaker notes?: if you're unsure about what to say or how to structure your intro video, our ai can generate speaker notes for you to follow.
- how to access: you'll find the option to generate speaker notes when you're setting up your video recording from the somos dashboard. simply click on it, and your notes will appear on the screen (check out our step-by-step guide for more details).
- customize: feel free to edit the notes to better match your style and message. they're there to guide you, not script you!
📚 how to add your video: step-by-step guides
you can record your video directly from your somos dashboard or add one you’ve already created from youtube. let’s find out how…
1️⃣ recording a welcome video with somos
2️⃣ got an intro video on youtube already? no worries, you can add that instead!
🤔 frequently asked questions
- your video will usually be live within a few minutes. you'll receive an email when it's ready.
- you can't edit a submitted video, but you can re-record and submit a new one.
- you can upload one intro video at a time, but feel free to update it as often as you like to keep your profile fresh.
on this page
- 🎬 intro videos: make a lasting first impression
- 🌟 why intro videos matter
- 🎥 technical tips for a great video
- 🎬 what to include in your intro video
- quick fire-intro🔥
- my teaching style 💫
- why i love teaching 💚
- 🤖 using ai-generated speaker notes
- 📚 how to add your video: step-by-step guides
- 1️⃣ recording a welcome video with somos
- 2️⃣ got an intro video on youtube already? no worries, you can add that instead!
- 🤔 frequently asked questions