📝 before you join: requirements & process
get to know the essentials for joining somos as a teacher 🎓
still got questions? get in touch: email@example.com.
📋 basic requirements
- 🎂 somos is only for teachers over 18 (we will verify your age & id).
- 🏦 if you’d like to sell any paid products, you’ll need to be able to connect to stripe so you can get paid!
- we use ❤️ heartbeat to host teacher communities and it’s where teachers create & teach courses! you’ll need:
- a good internet connection
- 🎙️ a good microphone & headset for online teaching (recommended, not essential)
- 🙏🏾 we ask teachers who use somos to commit to our community guidelines & support our languages policy.
🤓 what you don’t need…(!)
- to be a “native speaker” of the language you teach.
- to have formal teaching qualifications
- we just ask that you are transparent with your students about your experience.
- if you do have qualifications, we encourage you to share them!
📊 account types at somos
- 🎙️ channel host
- perfect for teachers who need a marketing page or a space to connect with their existing students.
- it's free forever, with no monthly fees.
- note: channel host can’t sell paid products.
- 🎨 creator
- designed for teachers who want to sell paid products, such as courses, classes, and e-books.
- 90% to creators, 9% to somos, 1% to our impact fund.
- 🚀 lifetime deal
- enjoy all the features of the creator account without paying any commission, ever.
- 99% to creators, 1% to our impact fund.
- this account type has limited availability and requires a one-time fee of $149.
please note: stripe will deduct payment processing fees from every purchase so please factor this into your pricing!
🚂 what is the onboarding process to get fully set up?
1️⃣ when you sign up, you’ll be guided through a form to set up your profile 🤳🏽 (5-10 mins)
2️⃣ once that’s done, you’ll be invited to verify your age & id. 🆔 (2-3 mins)
3️⃣ the next step is to connect to our teaching platform,❤️ heartbeat. this is where you’ll host your student community! (5 mins)
4️⃣ if you’d like to sell paid products on somos (optional), you’ll need to connect to our payments processor, stripe. 💳 (2-5 mins)
5️⃣ now you’re ready to activate your community! (1 min)
🤔 frequently asked questions
- no - and more than that - we don’t love that framing in the language learning space! 🤦🏾♂️
- at somos, we don’t see language as a fixed construct with rigid boundaries but more like open source technology that’s constantly shaped by people, culture, experience and movement.🌷
- we love it when people innovate with how they express themselves. ✊🏾
- this is something to be embraced and celebrated. it’s why we’ve built a platform to help you share what you know!
- as teachers on the platform, we want you to…
- have the opportunity to share your personal stories, experiences, and credentials in a way that resonates with your students, and
- feel empowered to teach languages and the cultural context they operate in.
- however you have come to teach the language(s) you do, we want somos to be a place you can do so on an equal footing.
- if you’d like to find out more about our approach to linguistic diversity you can read more here.
- 🎓 nope, not necessarily! we believe that what matters most is that you provide high-quality, human-centered learning experiences for your students. 🌟
- at somos, transparency is key! we want teachers to be upfront about what they offer and how they work. 💡
- there are many routes to becoming a great teacher, and we celebrate that diversity! 🚀 whether you've pursued formal qualifications or developed your teaching skills through informal means, we value your unique journey.
- our goal is to give you the tools to express yourself and share your story in a way that resonates with your students. 🗣️ it's all about creating a connection!
- this may involve showcasing your professional qualifications, continuous personal development, or highlighting your valuable experience. it's about what you bring to the table as an educator. 🌈
- you'll need a good internet connection and a device to access our platform. we also recommend having a good microphone and headset for online teaching, although it's not essential.
- absolutely! we want to make somos accessible for all teachers, including refugees and asylum seekers.
- please note that there are some limitations regarding payment options at this stage and we want to be as transparent as possible about them:
- to teach on somos and receive payments, you'll need to connect with stripe and pass their verification procedure. depending on local immigration restrictions where you are based, it may not be possible for you to open a bank account or e-wallet.
- however, you can still join us as a channel host for free and enjoy the benefits of a marketing profile, hosting a student community, and interacting with students through voice and video rooms.
- we're actively exploring other avenues to make somos more accessible to refugees and asylum seekers.
- if you choose to complete the onboarding process, you'll be added to a mailing list for refugee teachers, where we'll keep you updated and provide additional support like free training in the future.
- we will, of course, be looking into a broader set of payment options too.
- yes, you must be at least 18 years old to join somos as a teacher.
- we will verify your age and id during the sign-up process.